3.31.2009

Odds And Ends

A few bits and pieces I wanted to mention without dedicating a post to each of them:
  • Although ESPN isn’t announcing it yet, it looks like Memphis head basketball coach John Calipari will be heading to Kentucky. I don’t like Calipari at all, but he’s an incredible recruiter, and depending on how many of his Memphis recruits followed him to Kentucky, the Wildcats could become an overnight National Championship contender. After a down year, this is a step in the right direction for the SEC.
  • I was glad to see that Chipper Jones signed a contract extension with the Braves that will last through 2012, which basically means that he’ll spend his entire career as a Brave. Injury problems are always an issue with Chipper, but as he showed last year, he’s still one of the best hitters in the game when healthy.
  • We finished our taxes last night, and let’s just say that it didn’t go as well as last year. That “…Render unto Caesar…” verse isn’t looking too appealing at the moment.

6 comments:

Unknown 4/1/09, 10:47 AM  

Most of us folks here in Memphis are getting all weepy and sentimental about Coach Cal...wonder who they'll get to replace him.

Lori 4/1/09, 5:01 PM  

I know; I'm so excited about Chipper's new contract. I never doubted he'd leave, though. Love him!

Angela 4/2/09, 8:35 AM  

How did y'all's taxes end up so different this year than last?

Luke Dockery 4/2/09, 9:16 AM  

Sarah,

As I briefly mentioned in the post, I'm not a huge Calipari fan, mainly because I think he's shady (coughMAFIAcough), but it's hard to argue with his results from the last several years. I understand the weepiness.

I heard he was pushing for Memphis to hire one of his former assistants who's now at UTEP, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Luke Dockery 4/2/09, 9:16 AM  

Lori,

I knew you'd be excited about the Chipper news. I thought they'd get it worked out, but after the deal with Smoltz, ya never know…

Luke Dockery 4/2/09, 9:18 AM  

Angela,

In a nutshell, it's my fault.

I just started full-time at the church back at the beginning of 2008, which included having a housing allowance. They didn't withhold properly from my housing, and I didn't know better, so I ended up getting hit big (and was completely blindsided by it).

We are taking the necessary steps to make sure it doesn't happen again next year. :)

The Doc File © 2006-2012 by Luke Dockery

  © Blogger template 'Fly Away' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP