8.15.2008

Nadia Comăneci

After my last post, you might think I’m becoming a gymnastics junkie. I’m not, but I thought this deserved a post of its own.

While watching gymnastics in past Olympics, I’ve always heard about the amazing Nadia Comăneci, who won the all-around gold in 1976 while scoring something like seven perfect tens.

In this day of YouTube, I thought I’d be able to find some video of her, and I wasn’t disappointed. Watch this clip of her two perfect ten routines on the uneven bars:



The routines are somewhat different from what you see today, and seem to be quite a bit shorter, but I see why they still talk about her—I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything so graceful in my entire life.

4 comments:

Justin and Heather Bland 8/18/08, 3:24 PM  

... wow, things have changed some. Graceful for sure, up until she nearly cuts herself in half on the lower bar... geez that looks like it hurt (and it doesnt look graceful).

Angela 8/19/08, 3:04 PM  

It's strange to see how much the routines have evolved. It seems like even the bars are further apart now.

Luke Dockery 8/20/08, 10:53 AM  

Justin,

Point taken. I was specifically referring to the dismount, where she literally looks like she's flying.

It must've hurt to hit the bar like that, but they used to all do it.

Luke Dockery 8/20/08, 10:54 AM  

Angela,

Yeah, they did move the bars further apart at some point, I think for safety reasons (I can imagine people hitting their heads on it, etc.).

It sure was a lot different though.

The Doc File © 2006-2012 by Luke Dockery

  © Blogger template 'Fly Away' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP