8.29.2008

War Hero


Two political posts in a row? Yuck. I’ll keep this one short.

Everyone knows that John McCain was a war hero and a POW in Vietnam. What I wasn’t aware of were some of the impressive circumstances of his time in captivity. From Wikipedia:

“In mid–1968, McCain’s father was named commander of all U.S. forces in the Vietnam theater, and McCain was offered early release. The North Vietnamese made that offer because they wanted to appear merciful for propaganda purposes, and also wanted to show other POWs that elites like McCain were willing to be treated preferentially. McCain turned down the offer of repatriation; he would only accept the offer if every man taken in before him was released as well.”
If only being a war hero were all it took to make someone a viable presidential candidate, I think we’d have a winner.

8 comments:

Will 8/31/08, 9:03 PM  

Yeah, if that was all it took John Kerry would be President right now.

Anonymous 9/1/08, 8:44 AM  

My favorite part of John McCain's Wikipedia entry has, sadly, been removed:

During his imprisonment as a POW, his captors tortured him for the names of the other men in his company. Instead, he gave them the names of the Dallas Cowboys' defensive line.

Luke Dockery 9/1/08, 9:31 AM  

Will,

Kerry's war service was somewhat more disputed than McCain's. I don't really think it helped him at all.

Luke Dockery 9/1/08, 9:34 AM  

Alex,

I didn't know that part—that's great. I love Wikipedia, but I don't like when parts of articles that I like are edited out (seemingly without reason).

Justin and Heather Bland 9/1/08, 9:56 AM  

wow, that is impressive.

Will 9/1/08, 8:40 PM  

It also would have meant George Sr. would have beat Bill.

Luke Dockery 9/2/08, 9:23 AM  

Justin,

Yeah. If I had the opportunity to get out, I'm thinking I would take advantage of it.

Luke Dockery 9/2/08, 9:24 AM  

Will,

Wait a minute. Are you saying Bill wasn’t a war hero? ;)

The Doc File © 2006-2012 by Luke Dockery

  © Blogger template 'Fly Away' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP