2.14.2008

Time For An Update?

I found this nifty little pamphlet in the literature rack in our church foyer, and thought it was worth scanning and sharing with you.

A couple of thoughts/reactions:

  • I actually got a pretty good scan of this (i.e., the original looks just like this), which leads me to wonder why it was printed in blue. For one thing, the guy is blue, and for another thing, his blue hair really blends in with the blue background.
  • From the looks of him, there's no doubt in my mind that the young man pictured on the cover closely follows all of the rules explained inside. And never leaves the house unless he's in a suit.
  • Are there still some of these left over from when they were originally printed (which must have been prior to 1960), or have they just never been re-designed?
  • Is there any design that could have been used which would make Bible study seem less interesting than this one does? I'm thinking no.
Despite any impression I may have given, I'm sure this pamphlet contains some good information. I'm just thinking that maybe it's time for a reprint, you know?

6 comments:

TWD 2/14/08, 12:43 PM  

Are you going to leave us in the dark as to the rules? Obviously, I've been lax, as I haven't worn a tie on a regular basis in years.

Honestly, while guidance in Bible study can be valuable, I suspect both the title and the cover design are unlikely to be taken seriously now. Time for a new edition.

Justin and Heather Bland 2/15/08, 10:04 PM  

I didnt know there were rules. Wow, RULES. What if you break them? who is there to enforce them? Are there Bible study police? I am nervous now that I might be breaking the rules and not even know it. Please, Luke, I need to know these rules! I am sure there is a rule against knowing the rules and not telling anyone.

Luke Dockery 2/18/08, 11:40 AM  

TWD,

I have to confess, I was put off enough by the cover that I didn't actually read the pamphlet.

When I opened it up, the only thing I actually caught was about how we should read the Bible for what it says rather than what we want to make it say.

I can't speak for the rest of it, but that bit is certainly sound advice, and something I've been guilty of before.

Luke Dockery 2/18/08, 11:43 AM  

Justin,

Unfortunately, as mentioned above, I didn't read through the whole thing.

If you give me your mailing address though, maybe I could send you an original copy (I'm pretty sure it's a first edition!).

Will 2/20/08, 10:40 AM  

This pamphlet wasn't printed at Baldwin was it?

Luke Dockery 2/20/08, 11:48 AM  

Certainly not. Dad goes back and updates stuff.

This little gem is, not surprisingly, printed in Texas.

The Doc File © 2006-2012 by Luke Dockery

  © Blogger template 'Fly Away' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP